[Guide] Farming the Serpentshrine Cavern for WoW Gold Hunters Part 5: Fathom-Lord Karathress
You’re halfway through farming the Serpentshrine Cavern in Part 5 of this article series, World of Warcraft adventurers! In the previous articles, which you may read here, we talked about the Serpentshrine Cavern, how to get there, and the first three bosses namely: Hydross the Unstable, The Lurker Below and Leotheras the Blind. On today’s article we will be talking about the fourth boss in the dungeon: Fathom-Lord Karathress. Read on below for more information.
Fathom-Lord Karathress: A Background for
WoW Gold Hunters
Fathom-Lord Karathress is the fourth boss to beat in the Serpentshrine Cavern. He is a high ranking naga who wields a spiked mace. He is accompanied by three adds namely: Sharkkis, Tidalvess, and Caribdi. Each possesses powers and abilities that are similar to Hunter, Shaman, and Priest classes. Upon Karathress’ defeat, a Seer Olum becomes accessible.
Fathom-Lord Karathress: Skills and Abilities for WoW Gold Hunters
- Cataclysmic Bolt randomly targets mana users and deals half of their max HP in Shadow damage. This skill is further increased with The Beast Within. It also applies a short knockdown and stun.
- Sear Nova is a melee AoE damaging skill that inflicts 3,000 fire damage. This skill is cast every 20-60 seconds or so.
- Blessing the Tides increases Karathress’ attack speed and cast time by 66% for each add still alive and occurs when he reaches 75% hp. The damage is tripled if all three adds are still alive by that time.
- Enrage occurs at the 10 minute mark of the battle with Karathress. Enrage increases his damage.
It is important to note that as each add dies, Karathress absorbs a part of the fallen add’s power and gains a new ability.
- Upon Sharkkis’ death, he permanently gains The Beast Within.
- Upon Tidalvess’ death, he gains the ability to drop Spiritfire Totems.
- Upon Caribdis’ death, he gains the ability Tidal Surge.
Fathom-Lord Karathress: Adds for WoW Gold Hunters
Fathol-Lord Karathress is accompanied by three powerful adds that aid him in battle.
- Leeching Throw is a random target attack that burns the target’s mana and health for 525 per tick and lasts for 12 seconds.
- Hurl Trident hits a random target with his mighty trident for 1500 damage
- Summon Pet is his ability to call upon a powerful pet that is non-CCable. There are two pets Sharkkis is able to summon either a Fathom Lurker (elemental) or a Fathom Sporeboat (beast).
- Fathom Lurker – explodes when it is killed
- Fathom Sporeboat – has a knockback
- The Beast Within is similar to Enrage and occurs every 18 seconds. While this ability is active Shakkris’ damage is increased by 30% and his pet’s damage is increased by half
Fathom-Guard Tidalvess (Shaman Add)
He has the Shaman ability to summon totems. He can summon one of the following:
- Spiritfire Totem attacks up to 5 players within 45 yards inflicting 2550-3450 Fire Damage
- Poison Cleansing Totem eliminates 1 poison effect from Tidalvess every 5 seconds.
- Earthbind Totem reduces movement speed of nearby players by half
- Water Bolt Volley is an AoE damage that covers up to 45 yards dealing 2775-3225 Frost Damage
- Healing Wave is a single target heal that restores 20-30% of target’s total HP. This may be cast upon herself or any mob.
- Tidal Surge is cast every 10-15 seconds and deals a 10 yard AoE stun freezing enemies hit in blocks of ice for up to 3 seconds.
- The Whirlwind is Caribdis’ ability to summon whirlwinds that move across the area knocking up enemies and suspends them into the air for 3-9 seconds. It deals no damage but gives a debuff that increases the cast time of the enemy hit.
Seer Olum for WoW Gold Hunters
The Seer Olum spawns after the defeat of Fathom-Lord Karathress. He is one of the legendary keepers of Ashtongue’s secret but has been captured and held prisoner by Lady Vashj’s naga. He is being tortured into revealing the plans of Ashtongue in bestowing the Betrayer. He will offer very rewarding quests that may get you heaps of WoW gold. The Secret Compromised is a quest only available if Akama’s Promise has been completed. He vanishes after an hour of Fathom-Lord Karathress’ defeat.
How to Defeat the Fathom-Lord Karathress for WoW Gold Hunters
It is vital that you do not let Fathom-Lord Karathress reach 75% health as this will prompt Blessing the Tides and will be near impossible to defeat. It is advisable to kill off the adds first. Here is a recommended add kill order:
- Fathom-Guard Tidalvess
- Fathom-Guard Sharkkis
- Fathom-Guard Caribdis
Fathom-Guard Caribdis, the Priest Add, is fairly easy to kill and deals the least damage so it’s advisable to kill her last. Start with Fathom-Guard Tidalvess since he deals the most damage of them all and is recommended to be killed first to control the damage the raid takes from this fight. Although, Fathom-Guard Sharkkis drains mana and it may be difficult to fight if he is still alive. It’s really a matter of the raid’s choice. It depends on the group’s strategy and make up. Also take into consideration the fact that for each add that is killed, Karathress gains a new ability from the fallen add. Make sure your tanks are equipped with the best armor and defensive gear when you buy WoW gold.